The “Tides” have changed

by Morgan Radwick, staff writer

Tide_detergent_logo.svg.pngThe new year was off to a great start until people started doing the “Tide pod challenge.” Teens challenged their friends to bite into the brightly colored packets of laundry detergent, resulting in them spewing the soap they ingested. This can cause serious health issues, including vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and flatulence. Tide pods also contain bleach, which is an oxidizing agent. When ingested, it can result in burns to your digestive system which can induce vomiting. They can also lead to pulmonary edema, seizures, coma, and even death.

Many people have been hospitalized after consuming the laundry detergent. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), in January 86 people called poison control after someone ingested a Tide pod.

Teens have been recording themselves eating the Tide pods and posting it on social media. Popular social media site YouTube has been deleting and banning any videos containing the challenge. Stores that sell Tide pods have also resorted to locking them up. On Jan. 12, Tide tweeted:“What should Tide PODs be used for? DOING LAUNDRY. Nothing else.”

Health teacher Pat Bradshaw said, “Parents don’t know that their kids are doing it. You shouldn’t have to teach kids not to eat laundry soap. It’s common sense. They don’t realize how harmful these substances can be.”



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s